The Weirton Millsop Community Center opened in March 1952 and has been faithfully serving the recreation needs of the entire Tri-State Area ever since. Located in the heart of Weirton's downtown, and in the shadow of ArecelorMittal Steel (formerly National Steel and Weirton Steel), the 86,000-square-foot facility still proudly displays many links to the steel industry heritage that forged it more than 60 years ago. Among these are the large mural commissioned from Martin P. Couse for the grand opening on March 1, 1952 and the City of Weirton Hall of Fame, both located in the building's Weirton Room.
Several additions and upgrades have been made to WMCC, which was originally built at a cost of $1.4-million, a sum of money that was raised in only 14 days in 1951, consisting almost entirely of donations, some of which were made by Weirton Steel employees. WMCC is a tribute to the city's spirit of teamwork and dedication.
WMCC has adapted to the changing recreation and health and fitness needs of the community over the decades and offers something everyone. The facility includes an indoor, heated swimming pool; a 9,600-square-foot gymnasium; three racquetball courts; two multi-purpose courts; two cardio training rooms with state-of-the-art treadmills, cross trainers and recumbent bikes; a selectorized weight training room; a free weight training room; and an aerobic room. There are dressing rooms available for men, women and families.
WMCC also has three large meeting rooms that can be rented for any occasion, including the Weirton Room, which features state-of-the-art audio/visual tools, internet capability and a prep kitchen.
The facilities housed inside WMCC are avialable 342 days a year and its hours are wide ranging to fit almost any individual schedule.
WMCC offers a wide range of membership opportunities and programs to fit nearly any budget,