News Flash

Home & General News

Posted on: January 11, 2019

Churches of Weirton: St. Paul Church

50091230_1050995181751684_5334941279664996352_o

Churches of Weirton: St. Paul Church

 Churches are the history of our city.
 They serve as cultural centers, gathering places, historical landmarks and reminders of who we are and where we came from.
 To learn the history of Weirton's churches is to study the history of the city itself.
 Let's examine the churches of Weirton, their evolution, and their place in the community.

 Our first church is St. Paul Catholic Church, located at 3500 Main Street in Weirton. Its current pastor is Fr. Babu Joseph Elamturuthil. 

 St. Paul's began as a small building on Avenue A in North Weirton, built for $800 with its first mass taking place in 1911.

 In 1918, St. Paul Parish moved to a new location on County Road, which several generations of Weirton's citizens grew up attending.

 The third and current St. Paul's Church building was dedicated in 1972 in the heart of downtown, right beside St. Paul School which had been opened in 1963. 

 From 1911-2011, 10,029 baptisms have been performed at St. Paul's. 

 In that time, 3,510 couples have taken their wedding vows within the parish.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home & General News